[plug] Local Debian Repository

Adam Hewitt ahewitt at globaldial.com
Tue Dec 30 09:24:17 WST 2003

On 29/12/2003, at 11:30 PM, Adrian Woodley wrote:

> Wireless doesn't even come close to 10Mbit cable, especially for
> sustained transfers. This is mainly due to most wireless cards in
> laptops are only cs, not cb (think ISA vs PCI). A 10MBit cb card can
> pull through many times faster than an 11Mbit cs wireless card. I did
> test this a while ago, but I can't remember exact speeds.
> On top of that, there are larger headers per packet over 802.11b
> compared to ethernet. This more than eats the increased bit rate.

I believe this has more to do with the fact that cable is full-duplex
while wireless is half-duplex, which effectively halves the speed. I
have confirmed this by running a large ftp transfer with two wireless
servers sitting right next to each other and was getting ~680KBps
(11Mbps / 2 = 5.5Mbps / 8 = 687.5KBps)

Then again I am stupid ; )

Adam.