[plug] Apt upgrading

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Dec 30 11:53:40 WST 2003

Hi,

In message <6.0.0.22.0.20031230101243.01ada378 at pop.ozemail.com.au>
on Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 10:25:28AM +0800, smclevie wrote:
> I have a fairly predictable time all the way except for apt.  (I am running
> a version of apt that hasn't even got man pages setup yet according to the
> man page dated 16 June 1998).

Perhaps try looking at the man pages for apt-get and apt-cache, for
instance. Mine are dated March 2001 and come from version 0.5.4 of the
'apt' package.

> At one point I hand edited the sources.list file to try to make it get
> 'testing' archives and it still reverted to the 'stable' suite!!!

You need to run `apt-get update` after changing the sources.list (APT
will need to be able to connect to the source and download the package
lists).

> Q2.  When apt is loading the list of packages on initial connection, where
> does it store this file and what is it called?  (I reckon I'll store this
> file so that I don't have to keep going through the hours of downloads for
> each install....)

In the directory /var/lib/apt/lists