[plug] Cron or AT?

ryan at is.as.geeky.as ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Sat Feb 1 11:22:39 WST 2003

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 07:39:42 +0800
"Daniel Pearson" <plug at flashware.net> wrote:

> I would like to schedule backing up a folder from one disk to another using
> CRON or is it AT?
>
> cp -fRup /data/email /data2/ is the command I want to do, on Monday --
> Saturday @ 10pm.

I'd use cron, I only use at for variable things like starting sound-recorder
when there is something good on TripleJ Live @ the Wireless :)

For cron you could do it in the main /etc/crontab file or in a user's one by
typing 'crontab -e' as that user.

In both cases the format should be as 'man 5 crontab' tells you (with the
appropriate user substituted):

#m h    dom mon dow user	command
00 22	0-6 * 	*   root	cp -fRup /data/email /data2/

You could chuck a -v in there too so you get emailed the entire copy process, otherwise
it will email you any errors that popup.  You could redirect it to '2>&1 > /dev/null'
if you don't want any output in any situation.

I hope that's right, bit early for me :)

Ryan