[plug] Fwd: Vampire

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sat Feb 1 22:29:41 WST 2003

Useful little feature, quietly included with Samba3...

Subject: Re: [Cooker] win32 for 9.1?
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 14:55:15 +0200
From: Buchan Milne <DESPAMMED>
To: Mandrake Cooker List <DESPAMMED>

Oden Eriksson wrote:
[chopped by LB]
> I wonder if you (or anyone) has any experience in the windows migration kit
> by Jaques Gelinas?

Not really, but I assume it's similar to the smbldap-migrate.pl perl
script we have in samba, and the stuff Michael Brown did.

The thing is that samba3 has something which can do the majority of this
without having to run anything on a windows box.

# urpmi samba3-common
# net3 rpc vampire

(it's supposed to be 'net rpc vampire', and will be once samba-3.0.0 is out)

If I were to try this, I would setup one new samba box, and then sync
data across with rysnc, and extract and set ACLs from the windows box,
and then switch it, using a 'netbios aliases' to have the old name point
to the new samba box. Format the original win2k server, and use it for
the next one. But then again I normally don't make 200 shares on a
windows box like some people do (normally you shouldn't need more than
about 20 IMHO).

However, I don't really have enough infrastructure to play with this at
present, we only have one windows server here, and that's a production
MSSQL (don't ask ...).

I'm more interested in getting Mandrake 9.0 to work out-the-box using
the network profiles as home dir ... but that's a lot more work since in
win2k that info is stored in AD :-(. But IMHO the winbind stuff 9.0 had
isn't bad.

P.S. Does anyone know if the 'expert' authentication options in
installation will be available in beta3? I probably need to test it and
see if it still works with a newer samba.

FYI:
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/Integrating%20Linux%20into%20Windows%20Networks.tar.gz

[chopped by LB]

Buchan