[plug] Bad Sectors...

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Sun Feb 2 12:40:11 WST 2003

I have a HDD which on a Win98 PC had bad sectors, and caused various
problems. After investigation, I found online that this particular model
drive (A 40Gb Seagate) was famous for getting very hot, causing bad sectors.

I've now placed it in my Linux box, and Ext3'ed it, doing a -cc (ie;
over the top bad sector scan) when formatting it.

I've done some other tests throwing data on the drive, md5'ing it, etc,
and had no problems at all - so far!

I'd REALLY like to make use of this disk, since any extra disk space on
my budget is a welcome thing. So, a few questions on dealing with bad
sectors:

Should mke2fs report bad sectors found at the end? (As it didn't when I
formatted it...)

Is there any commands to list known bad sectors? Preferrably their
location as well, so I can tell if they're clumped together?

Does the S.M.A.R.T HDD setting in the PC BIOS have anything to do with
auto-correction of bad sectors? Since I've had no problems in my PCs,
but had problems in the other PC, I'm wondering if I can blame the other
PC's BIOS/main-board (a dodgy EliteGroup board) for the lack of error
correction...

If I have a problem of growing bad sectors (even if slowly), then would
the drive still be useable if I divided it in two and RAID 1'ed the
partitions?

Any other ideas?

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |