[plug] [OT] Goodbye, Columbia

Zillah Austin zillah at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Feb 2 18:22:56 WST 2003

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Bret Busby wrote:

*snip*
> And, how responsible is Howard, for the deaths and damage caused by the
> bushfires in Australia, when he regards it as more fun to kill arabs,
> than to defend Australia? He and his governmnet refused funding for the
> large firefighting helicopters to deal with the bushfires that have
> occurred, instead spending our money on sending our mercenary military
> to fight for Bush, in his war to terrorise the world.
*unsnip*

Are you accusing John Howard for the bushfires?

Resources were stretched thin over three fire fronts hitting
northern and southern suburbs.

The wind speed was up to 80 kph and the temperature soared over
39 degrees.

The ACT fire chief, Peter Lucas-Smith, said 1000 emergency workers would
be on the ground, as well as 110 fire trucks and 22 helicopters.

Apparently the ACT bushfire crews could handle up to 8 house fires at a
time, but the Canberra bushfires were something horrendous and needed up
to a 1000 fire trucks to make some inpact and protect the 530 homes that were
destroyed.

Nothing John Howard could have done, would have prevented the Canberra
bushfires and you shouldn't blame him for it.

Kind Regards,
Zillah :)