[plug] [OT] Goodbye, Columbia

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Feb 2 18:58:38 WST 2003

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 06:25:41PM +0800, Alex Polglaze wrote:

| >The worst and most horrendous war crimes, in the history of life on this
| >planet, were committed by the USA, in Hirohima and Nagasaki.
|
| What a load of bulldust! What about all the allied lives that were saved
| by this action.

Probably fewer Allied lives saved than Japanese lives lost.  I was under
the impression that the Allies and the Japanese were negotiating peace
at around the same time as the bomb was dropped?  Destroying entire cities
and rendering the land useless for decades is not a good precedent to
set; fortunately nuclear weapons have never been used since.

| The unfortunate price of a democracy is that we have to put up with this
| drivel.

No.  It is free speech that allows this, not democracy.  One does not
necessarily imply the other.

| >In the second world war, when Germany was going to invade Poland,
| >protests were made, and, the invasion started the second world war. The
| >differences, this time around, is that the USA is going to invade
| >another sovereign nation, with the assistance of the UK and Australia,
| >and this time, Germany is the goodies, and the USA, the UK and
| >Australia, are the baddies, and, the war criminals (if nukes are used),
| >and, this time, the world simply doesn't care.
|
| No you and many others sound like Neville Chamberlain, Peace in our
| time. When somebody kicks the shitbags out of you, you will be the first
| to call for help and protest "Why didn't the government do anything".

Yes, but at the moment Iraq is minding their own business.  It is the
United States that are the aggressors.  If Iraq have their own weapons
of mass destruction as claimed by the US and the UK, should they
retaliate against the United States?

CP.