[plug] Autostart Single user X

I am the LinuxAlien linuxalien at optusnet.com.au
Sun Feb 2 19:20:20 WST 2003

I am using a script in /etc/rc2.d/ to start a single user X session. It is
a script based minutely on one from Knoppix as the one from Knoppix  I
couldn't get to work. Basically it is as below.

USER=tim
HOME=/home/tim
PATH=...
EXPORT USER
EXPORT HOME
EXPORT PATH
startx

I have named the file S20xstart. I understand the S instructs init to start
the service and the numbers are the order. I will probably change it to S99
so that it starts last. Someone correct me if i am wrong.
All goes well except that the X session starts as root with the home
directory set to /home/tim
The Knoppix script has lots of weird stuff as it has to detect what X
server to run and I couldn't get it to work with my X config files as I
couldn't workout where it started the server.
I also wish to be able to start the server as :1 instead of :0 so I will
probably have to edit the startx file to do this. (I will make a second
copy of the file and keep the first for my normal X server)
I will be adding some more to the bottom of my startup script so that when
the server dies it will poweroff.
Thanks
Tim

LinuxAlien