[plug] [OT] Free speach in Oz [was Goodbye, Columbia]

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun Feb 2 23:29:07 WST 2003

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Adrian Blockley wrote:

> Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 22:50:49 +0800
> From: Adrian Blockley <a.blockley at poboxes.com>
> To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [plug] [OT] Free speach in Oz [was Goodbye, Columbia]
>

> On 2003.02.02 18:25 Alex Polglaze wrote:
> [snip lots of interesting points but few that I would agree with]
> > Personally, I can put up with some haze in winter when the wind isn't
> > quite right, but we haven't had a disastrous bush fire like
> > Dwellingup for over 40 years, so obviously we are on the right track
> > in WA.
>
> It aint ever that simple. Haze is not just a visual amenity problem but
> a major health problem for many people with respiratory illness. Having
> said that CALM have a very tough job and work very hard to minimise
> haze events due to fuel reduction burns
>

> > Free software an free speech, I guess they go together.
> >

> Aparently not. Free speech isn't quite as free as we would like in
> Australia. I have some friends who have been protesting along the
> Causway against the potential war with Iraq. A kind gentleman from Main
> Roads turned up and began photographing them and told them they could
> no longer protest there without paying large sums of money for the
> right to advertise. We only have free speech for those who can afford
> it...
>
> Cheers
>
> Adrian

It would be good, if free speech was introduced into Australia.

I remember a man imprisoned for the duration of a feral election, for
trying to tell the voting public that they could actually vote
democratically at elections in this country. The feral government
decided that the people had no right to vote democratically, to know
that they could vote democartically, or, to tell people that they could
vote democratically.

(And, to prevent democracy, the feral government later prevented the
people from voting on whether to become a republic; the question was
deliberately prevented from being put)

Then, the feral government implemented the Internet Oppression Bill, to
censor communications on the Internet, to further restrict
communications in this country. (Previously discussed, with that
name. It will be in the list archive.)

--
Bret Busby
Armadale