[plug] [OT] CALM burns, protesting Iraq (was: Free speach[sic])

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Feb 3 16:09:27 WST 2003

On Sunday 02 February 2003 10:50 pm, Adrian Blockley wrote:
> CALM have a very tough job and work very hard to minimise
> haze events due to fuel reduction burns

They could try doing them in late autumn, and in small blocks, which would
kill less endangered critters and result in less runaways.

> Free speech isn't quite as free as we would like in
> Australia. I have some friends who have been protesting along the
> Causway against the potential war with Iraq. A kind gentleman from Main
> Roads turned up and began photographing them and told them they could
> no longer protest there without paying large sums of money for the
> right to advertise. We only have free speech for those who can afford
> it...

Yeah, friends of mine have been threatened with legal action by MRD over a
garage sale sign on a median strip. Nice people.

AFAIK and WRT Iraq, you could stand just off the carriageway and banner
yourselves silly. If the MRD dude wants to be a pain in the rear, he would
then contact whoever maintains the island and urge them to find a bylaw that
prevented you from doing so. At that point you have three options: go
elsewhere, fight back (I'd start with newspapers), or clam up.

AFAICT, like so many others there is no unqualified `right' side in that war.

Cheers; Leon