[plug] [OT] pillow fights (was: Columbia)

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Feb 3 00:05:59 WST 2003

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 21:43:01 +0800
> From: Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.fdns.net>
> To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [plug] [OT] pillow fights (was: Columbia)
>
> On Sunday 02 February 2003 07:32 pm, Bret Busby wrote:
> > I remember an episode of MASH ([aside elided]), in which Hawkeye Pearce
> > said that the leaders of both sides; the USA and the North Koreans,
> > should be given pillows, and that they should beat each other senseless,
> > and that that should then be all that was involved, and the end to the
> > conflict.
>
> Scoring would be a problem, but that would have to wait until the problem of
> how to get both sets of leaders to cooperate in the scheme was solved.

Who said anything about scoring, and winners and losers? The objective
was for the participants to beat themselves senseless. Put 'em in a
padded cell .. you don't need them to co-operate, for that...

> There has been much good SciFi written along those lines, and an interesting
> on in which *any* participant in a court could be found guilty of stuff and
> maybe executed: witnesses, the judge, lawyers, prosecution, defense, janitor,
> the lot. Now *that* would be an interesting experiment.

You don't need sci-fi, to see it. I saw a senile magistrate, who was
supposed to have been put out on a funny farm years before, want to
convict the police prosecution for dropping a case for lack of evidence.
Yes, folks, right here in Perth. The current A-G knew of the senility,
and said that was okay.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale