[plug] More Bad Sectors...

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Feb 4 11:36:26 WST 2003

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 02:54, LineOne wrote:
> I had the same prob, same make of drive, so I put SuSE 7.3 on it,  and an
> additional fan installed, must be over a year ago now, not a glitch?  I
> still make regular backups, but should'nt one always?  I have always used
> reiserfs having had a bad experience years ago with Redhat 6.? and ext2.

Can you undelete files on ReiserFS? That's what I miss going from ext2 to ext3
- every now and again, being able to undelete an "oh bugger" is useful. ^_^

Backups? Ha! How? ^_^ (I mean, from a non-rich home situation). Gone are the
days when you could back up your HDD to a CD or two... Even backing up to DVD
is impractical. And tapes suck from my experience (although using second-hand
HW & media probably doesn't help).

It seems these days the most practical backup is doubling HDD capacity, and
either rsync-ing or RAID-ing - but that doubles the cost (or halves the
capacity). ^_^

Yes, in a perfect world, everything would be backed up reliably and
efficiently.

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |