[plug] More Bad Sectors...

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Feb 4 12:16:48 WST 2003

> It seems these days the most practical backup is doubling HDD capacity, and
> either rsync-ing or RAID-ing - but that doubles the cost (or halves the
> capacity). ^_^

Tape? Hmm... travan is known for "write only backups" but otherwise I've
found tapes to be excellent, though the drives are pricy. I've been
using DDS2 at work for some time, and now have DDS2 at home and DDS4 at
work. I've never had a problem... though you will kill the drive if you
don't clean it regularly.

If you need frequent reliable backups tape is the only way to go, since
the drive cost isnt too bad in the long run compared to the savings on
high-capacity reliable reusable media.

Craig