[plug] A new convert (maybe)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Feb 5 08:35:48 WST 2003

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 12:01 am, Nigel Duff wrote:
> It has been a long time since I have used an rpm based distro. Anything
> I should look out for with Mandrake/URPMI.

Copy the CDs onto the hard disk, add them to fstab as loopbacks, and make them
URPMI sources. Your update source should probably be iiNet.

Fetch and install NVidia's proprietary drivers to get faster display and
working 3D.

Add Texstar, PLF and a few others as URPMI sources (via
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/ or there is a page on http://plf.zarb.org/
somewhere with pushbutton scripts for doing this), fetch and install Keramik
and the missing kdeartwork, set all of the users to use Keramik theme and
switch on the fancy doodads like translucent menus. It looks much cooler. The
missing artwork includes a decent screensaver collection, or you could use
xscreensaver instead.

Cheers; Leon