[plug] A new convert (maybe)

Nigel Duff peregrin at iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 5 16:44:36 WST 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:52:38AM +0100, Shayne wrote:
> Off the top of my head, the main thing that gets newbies at first is mounting
> and unmounting floppies and cds,

I saw that Mandrake did this plus had an auto-notification when connect
a USB device. These are the little touches that that he will notice.

> and the fact that there is only one file
> tree. It's pretty easy to get the hang of....

He doesn't understand the file system of Windows. I doubt he has ever
created a directory. I will make /home/username/pictures, /h/u/letters
and he will just drop the appropriate files into them. I figure he will
have a much easier time with the linux layout .

> Oh yeah.... Learn the trick of how to use kde's printer dialog in non kde
> appps, it's real easy, and your boss'll LOVE the bit about printing to a pdf
> from anything.

Ok, i will have to have a look at it myself having never used it. :)

> Um, Can I suggest if your life depends on this working, get your hands on a
> copy of knoppix and play with that first. It runs totally of a CD and might
> save your neck if it pans out that.

Yes Garry mentioned this. Sounds very nice. Might have to keep a copy
with me at all times.

> Oh yeah. I think the 'crossover office' plugin will let you run office if you
> need office, but openoffice works a treat

OpenOffice.org will do him fine. Wine will be just be if there is some
little app that a friend tells him he really must run (and then only
until I can find opensource equivalent).

Thanks for the ideas.

Nigel