[plug] downloader and Lucent Winmodem

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Feb 5 13:33:02 WST 2003

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 13:25, Dene Staples wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a downloader for linux which is fast (and maybe
> free?)? Download seems to drag in linux, while in the Windows side the
> Star downloader does an excellent job.

You mean like d4x? axel? wget?

> I use a 33.6k external Dynalink modem when in Linux, which could account
> for some of the slowness, but it does seem a bit too slow and stalls
> often. It appears to be difficult to use the internal 56k Lucent
> Winmodem from what I have read. Is there any workable driver to download?

I'm using a Winmodem in my Linux dialup box now. I think it was a Lucent one,
but don't quote me on it.

After spending a good few hours reading up on Linux & Winmodems, with lots of
Gotcha's, Warnings, etc... I downloaded the driver package, ran 3 or so
scripts, and everything worked fine! No hassles at all. It even created a
Debian package for the kernel module. ^_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |