[plug] downloader and Lucent Winmodem

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Wed Feb 5 14:36:54 WST 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, quoth Russell Steicke:

>   # hdparm -u1 /dev/hda
> The man page for hdparm has all sorts of dire warnings about this
> option, saying that it can corrupt your filesystems.  In practice I
> haven't lost any data, and if the device driver thinks it's dangerous it
> seems to turn the option back off itself.

As a caveat to that, I have used that option with much success on many
computers, and recently enabled it on my laptop without even thinking
about it. I almost immediately started seeing data corruption.

Dell Inspiron 3700
IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)

 - Matt