[plug] A new convert (maybe)

Nigel Duff peregrin at iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 5 18:23:49 WST 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 01:16:03AM +0800, Peter J. Nicol wrote:
> Ok, I have done this experiment a couple of times.  Neither time really worked
> that well.  My GF did manage to write her Honours thesis in Star, then OpenOffice,
> but I had to more or less administer the poota.

Thats not really a problem. They don't do anything exciting with it and
I pretty much have to administer it anyway.

> My tips are to make sure your browser has everything installed and working.  Test
> MP3 playing, flash, java and stuff like that.
>
> Make sure that every file type that you can download has a program that opens it,
> esp PDF and stuff like that.

This is a good point. If he clicks on a realplayer link and nothing
happens it will be Linux that doesn't work.

> Getting used to the X clipboard model is a bit of a prob for windows users as
> well.  Also, if they are not used to networked systems (say, an NT domain or
> Netware setup), they may not be used to security concepts.  Root or user privs can
> be an issue if they want to install things.

He doesn't install things. The privs are going to be great. No more
having to move the windows directory out of C:\Program Files\New
Folder\New folder\New Folder\

> For a power user, or as a server thingy, nix is great.  I am still not convinced
> it is for n00bs.

This will be set up similar to an Internet kiosk. The less he can
actually play with the system the better.

Nigel