[plug] User-level monitoring/changing proxy/firewall tool

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 7 11:34:29 WST 2003

Hi all

I have a need for the following

 - web based interface for historic and hot monitoring of Squid proxy logs
('hot' meaning a periodically updated webpage showing who is surfing what
right now) - there are plenty of 'generate graphs/html pages for last
week/month/year' type of tools, but nothing I can find allows a real-time view
of the current activity.

 - A simple web based interface for someone to allow/disallow user access to
proxy, or to apply simple time based rules (allow if 9am-5pm mon-fri) - I
guess a simple interface to Squid's ACLs would suffice

 - A simply web based interface to subtley alter firewall (iptables) rules to
allow/deny certain port forwarding rules (they have a remote maintenance
contract with a Lotus Notes server and wish to close the port when not
specifically in use - but a generic interface where certain rules can be
switched on/off would be cool)

The server is already set up with simple porn filtering rules, and we have
played with proxy authentication via win nt.... which adds more complexity
unfortunately.

Has anyone seen any tools which border on fullfilling these requirements?

Otherwise I may start a project to implement this sort of thing as webmin
modules - anyone interested in the same sort of outcome and wish to help?

Thanks