[plug] Red Hat Linux v8.0 query

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Feb 13 12:20:32 WST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Luke dudney wrote:

> On 13/02/03 11:47, Jason Nicholls wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:45:02AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> >

> >>I had been advised that RH Linux v8.0 itself is okay, but that the
> >>included Apache (v2.0, I believe) is broken.
> >>
> >>Can someone please clarify this, and, advise whether, if the Apache
> >>is/was broken, the Apache has been fixed?
> >>

> >Surely a search in the RedHat bug database and/or mailing list would be more
> >helpful than asking PLUG.

The only reference that I have seen to Apache wrt RH Linux 8.0, in the
RHN Alert newsletter, since 31 August 2002, is one dated 11 February,
which referred to security, and not to (general) functionality issues.

Posting the query to the PLUG list, is to try to find users'
experiences/knowledge of the status of the problems about which the
information is sought, which I understand, is one of the primary
purposes of this list.

> >My *guess* is that apache itself is fine, perhaps there are problems with some
> >of the included modules. For example, mod_perl for apache 2 is still alpha so
> >don't expect it to work correctly.
> >

> Rasmus Lerdorff in one of his PHP presentations at LCA said that the
> Apache shipped in RedHat 8.0 is broken, and to rpm -e it and install 1.3.x
> As he's on the apache development team, I'd presume he has some basis
> for this recommendation.
> Apparently the actual web server is fine and is great for serving out
> static content, but because of its new design it requires all modules to
> be thread safe; a lot of modules including PHP aren't quite there yet.
>
> Cheers
> Luke

Thanks for that, Luke.

--