[plug] Success!

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Thu Feb 13 12:45:24 WST 2003

After months of tortu^H^H^H^H^H fun with the xbox, and learning the
intimate details of it's boot-sequence whilst simultaneously learning more
about initrd's than I ever wanted to know[0] I finally have a working
Debian installation on the PLUG Xbox. Yay! :)

Additionally, thanks to the gracious donation of Jason Nicholls PLUG is
now also the proud owner of a HP C180 (PA-RISC Powered) which thanks to
the efforts of my partner Scott Middleton is now also running Debian.

However, to fit both machines into the Linux IT Server room we are going
to need to do a little re-organisation of the rack, which means we're
going to need to temporarily shut spark down so we can move it's UPS.

I'm going to shut Spark down in 5 mins. It should be back up in 15 mins or
so.

Regards,

 - Matt

[0] I've never seen the point of initrd's myself.  If a driver is required
    for boot, I compile it into the kernel.  I can see they are handy
    for distro install disks that need to run on multiple different
    machines, but not a cookie-cutter platform like the xbox[1]
[1] Cromwell[2] requires an initrd.
[2] The completely free xbox BIOS