[plug] samba connection problems

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Sun Feb 16 18:59:16 WST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Graham <alan.graham at infonetsystems.com.au>
Date: 16 Feb 2003 10:41:24 +0800
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] samba connection problems

> I've come into this conversation late, so apologies if say thongs that
> you've already been over.
>
> The main error you're having (it seems) is a name resolution error on
> the XP box (ie, network path not found).  Remember that SMB in general
> doesn't use DNS, and the SMAB namespace is completey separate to the
> netbios namespace.  I;'d suggest that this is an XP problem, rather than
> a samba problem.
>
> Things to try;
> Can gatie see server2?  Ie, on gatie, what does "smbclient -L server2"

Here's my LAN:

Gatie (smoothwall gateway/firewall) 192.168.0.1
server2 (redhat8) 192.168.0.3
servie (e-smith) 192.168.0.2
arixphome (xp home) 192.168.0.101
caroline (win98se) 192.168.0.2

I doubt very much that gatie has the smbclient installed.  I think, however, that the e-smith server would, I'll check this now:

[root at servie bin]# smbclient -L server2
added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
added interface ip=192.168.0.2 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Connection to server2 failed

Here's the result of that command issued from server2 itself:

$ smbclient -L server2

Domain=[OURNETWORK] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.7]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        music          Disk      music
        downloads      Disk      downloads for windows
        linux          Disk      linux downloads
        aribackup      Disk      Ari's backup directory
        carobackup     Disk      Caroline's backup directory
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Servie2)
        ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (Servie2)
        ari            Disk      Home Directories

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        SERVEr2              Server2

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        OURNETWORK

> show?  If it shows the shares you expect from server2, then the problem
> is definitely name resolution on XP.
>
> Name resolution in an SMB network is handled by multiple broadcasts,
> unless you have a WINS server.  Is gatie set up to be a wins server?

No

> Do all three machines agree on the workgroup?

Gatie is not assigned a workgroup, see above.  arixp, server2, and servie all agree on the workgroup

> On the XP box, what is the result of "net view" ?

\\ARIXPHOME DEFAULT
\\SERVIE MITEL NETWORKS SME SERVER
\\SERVER2 SERVER2

> What is the result of "net view /workgroup=ournetwork" ?

An error message.  The closest command I could find in the net view helpfiles is net view /domain=ournetwork, which had the same results as that for just the net view command.

> Is the XP box only using tcp/ip?

Yes

  If it's running netbeui, disable it,
> as netbios over tcp/ip is sufficient.  Netbios over netbeui won't talk
> to netbios over tcp/ip, as they're on different LANA's.
>
> Keep us informed.

I will, I really appreciate all this help I've been getting.

Ari