[plug] samba connection problems

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Sun Feb 16 18:41:21 WST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Holland <myk at plug.linux.org.au>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 07:23:52 +0800 (WST)
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] samba connection problems

> Ari,
> before talking Samba problems, is there any evidence your XP box is even
> finding the server?

Yes, there is.  I can ping it by name and by IP, it has absolutely no trouble with either.  Also, it shows up in the network neighbourhood list under 'ournetwork', along with the e-smith server.

> I didnt see than in your post.
> Can you ping it from XP? Is samba logging any kind of
> connetion attempt?

I'm not sure.  I've posted in a followup several log files with partial or complete contents.

>   Your tcpdump doesnt show it. Its also a bit worrying that whichever host
> did the tcpdump doesnt even have a name for the client or server, just for
> "gatie".

The Redhat 8 box, the one I'm trying to get samba working on, is the one I did the tcpdump on.  Here's my local network:

Smoothwall Gateway/firewall:  Gatie  192.168.0.1

E-smith:                      Servie 192.168.0.2

Redhat 8                      Server2 192.168.0.3
(the box I'm working on)

WinXP Home                    AriXP  192.168.0.101

Win98SE                       Caroline  192.168.0.102

Suggest you fix your DNS first. How is XP supposed to know the IP
> address of samba? Does XP have a 'HOSTS' file? Is it using DNS?

It seems to 'hear' the name of 'server2' just fine, if I type ping \\server2 it works just as well as when I type ping 192.168.0.3

Sorry if I seem to be just running in circles, I'm still very new to all this, and e-smith just worked without any tweaking, so I had it in my head that using samba on the redhat8 box (and later retiring the e-smith box) would be a pretty straight forward deal :-(

Ari