[plug] HDD brands

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Feb 18 22:26:41 WST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 09:25:39PM +0800, I am the LinuxAlien wrote:

| I am looking at getting a new HDD as my old ones are too small and one just
| crashed. I am looking at around 60Gb and was wondering what brand i should
| aim for.
| My options are Seagate, Western Digital or IBM DeskStar.

I have a 60gb Seagate Barracuda IV, and am happy with it.  Not only are
they very quiet, they are also one of the cheapest brands :)  I've heard
bad things about the IBM "Death Star" drives, but the newer drives might
be better.  Western Digitals are, from what I've read, the fastest of
the three, but cost a little more.

I'd also imagine that a >60gb drive would be better value for money (ie.
more megabytes per dollar) than a smaller drive.

CP.