[plug] HDD brands

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Tue Feb 18 22:43:15 WST 2003

Cameron Patrick wrote:

>I have a 60gb Seagate Barracuda IV, and am happy with it.  Not only are
>they very quiet, they are also one of the cheapest brands :)

I totally agree, I've got an 80Gb version and I've never had a problem
with it.  Several of my friends have them also - with no problems yet.

>I've heard
>bad things about the IBM "Death Star" drives, but the newer drives might
>be better.

They said that after the 75GXP, said the 60GXP was better... trust me,
its not and there is no reason to think the 120GXP or any other model
IBM for that matter is any different.  I have 4 dead IBMs sitting in my
desk at work, they aren't worth claiming warranty on, as they'll just be
replaced with more IBMs.  Thats apart from the other 6 I think the last
count was that have died in our desktop computers.

>Western Digitals are, from what I've read, the fastest of
>the three, but cost a little more.

Generate a little bit more heat and are apparently noisier (only time I
heard one was in an Athlon - and the screaming 7000rpm fans drowned out
any noise the hard disk made).

/ Ben