[plug] HDD brands

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Tue Feb 18 22:47:50 WST 2003

At 09:25 PM 18-02-2003 +0800, you wrote:

>My options are Seagate, Western Digital or IBM DeskStar.
>I want a 7200rpm IDE drive
>thanks
>Tim

Seagate is the best choice at the moment.

The IBM hard drives often tend to run very "HOT" and will start causing
"BAD" sectors.

Most 7200 r.p.m. drives will run a lot hotter than the 5400 r.p.m. drives.

I know of several cases where replacing the PSU with a 300 watt unit
(minimum) has enabled the HDD's to run cooler, especially when used in
conjuction with CD/DVD burners and/or other peripherals/devices that draw
power from the PSU.

P4 & Athlon motherboards also tend to use more power and thus increase the
load on the PSU, and don't forget if you are using extra cooling fans they
also need to draw power.

Regards Arie