[plug] Commercial Help in LUGs

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Thu Feb 20 11:05:12 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 20/02/2003 10:58 AM
-----

                      LinuxGuru
                      <LinuxGuru at telstr        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      a.com>                   cc:
                                               Subject:  [plug] Commercial Help in LUGs
                      20/02/2003 10:55
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>Hi
>Having recently joined your list at the Linux conf, I am also a member
>of a few other LUGs. I have noticed that people on this list often post
>help for their commercial enterprise and I was wondering if this is
>standard practice on this list. Other lists I am on can get quite
>indignant at some questions whilst on this list, nobody says anything
>and sometimes even helps!

Seems so, and it was std practise on the last LUG list I was a member of,
and why not? After all the only thing that unites us we use/like/admire
Linux, and whether we use it for commercial or hobby use, we probably can
all learn from someone else. Anyway who's to say what is commercial, and
otherwise - some guys do work for political groups or gather computers and
refurbish them for computer literacy projects - are they commersial or not?
- who cares. If they can help me with a problem or I can help them, let's
do it.

>Often I find the need for other peoples help and posting to the list
>will save me hours of web surfing not to mention the costs of hiring.

Now, the last phrase is depressing - we're doing someone out of a job.

>LinuxGuru

RichardM