[plug] Commercial Help in LUGs

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Feb 20 20:58:08 WST 2003

On Thursday 20 February 2003 10:55 am, LinuxGuru wrote:
> I have noticed that people on this list often post
> help for their commercial enterprise and I was wondering if this is
> standard practice on this list. Other lists I am on can get quite
> indignant at some questions whilst on this list, nobody says anything
> and sometimes even helps!

That's how it's supposed to work, IMESHO. (-:

I run a Linux consultancy, answer quick questions here, and charge people for
coming out to fix bigger problems. Answering the little problems helps me to
keep my brains honed in a wider field without a large investment in time, and
occasionally people contact me off-list and paying work results. So the
traffic does flow both ways, and probably a lot more freely than if I was
miserly with my input. Do unto others, etc.

The core point in Open Source, the key objective, is to make the whole pie
bigger rather than fight others for their pieces of it. That's why Microsoft
Just Don't Get It(tm).

Cheers; Leon