[plug] MySQL

Mike Groeneweg mikeg at scorpion.murdoch.edu.au
Fri Feb 21 16:34:42 WST 2003

Luke dudney wrote:

> On 21/02/03 13:33, Derek Fountain wrote:
>
>> On Friday 21 February 2003 10:59, Ben Jensz wrote:
>>

>>> This may sound like a stupid question, but I can't see anything in the
>>> MySQL manual about being able to set which interface or interfaces to
>>> get MySQL to listen on, rather than all interfaces.
>>>
>>> I've done some Googling and can't find anything there either.
>>>
>>> Basically the machine has 3 NICs/IPs and I only want MySQL listening on
>>> one of those NICs/IPs.  I could just block access with iptables, but I'd
>>> prefer it to not be listening on those interfaces at all.  I'm running
>>> version 3.23.54a.
>>>
>>> Anyone?
>>>

>> Is that a MySQL issue? The server is listening on a port, which is
>> application layer stuff. The packets are delivered to that port by the
>> transport layer (via the network stack). The application isn't
>> sensitive to (in fact, I don't think it can tell) how the packets got
>> into the box.
>>
>> iptables is the correct, and, I think, only, way to get things as you
>> want them.
>>

> It is certainly an application issue.
> An application, when it binds to the server port, can use a specific ip
> address or it can use INADDR_ANY which is a special case and means all
> available addresses.
> Whether this is configurable in the server software or not is entirely
> up to the programmer.
>
> Not sure if this is possible in Mysql

I agree with Luke, it's an application issue for sure.

According to this link:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Command-line_options.html

	--bind-address=IP

on the command line should fix this right?

Mike G

--
   ,-._|\   Network Administrator      |  Ph: (+618) 9360 2766
        v                              |SMTP: M.Groeneweg at murdoch.edu.au
  ``Vi is my shepherd, I shall not font.''