[plug] MySQL

Luke dudney dex at wn.com.au
Fri Feb 21 13:46:05 WST 2003

On 21/02/03 13:33, Derek Fountain wrote:

>On Friday 21 February 2003 10:59, Ben Jensz wrote:
>

>>This may sound like a stupid question, but I can't see anything in the
>>MySQL manual about being able to set which interface or interfaces to
>>get MySQL to listen on, rather than all interfaces.
>>
>>I've done some Googling and can't find anything there either.
>>
>>Basically the machine has 3 NICs/IPs and I only want MySQL listening on
>>one of those NICs/IPs.  I could just block access with iptables, but I'd
>>prefer it to not be listening on those interfaces at all.  I'm running
>>version 3.23.54a.
>>
>>Anyone?
>>

>Is that a MySQL issue? The server is listening on a port, which is application
>layer stuff. The packets are delivered to that port by the transport layer
>(via the network stack). The application isn't sensitive to (in fact, I don't
>think it can tell) how the packets got into the box.
>
>iptables is the correct, and, I think, only, way to get things as you want
>them.

It is certainly an application issue.
An application, when it binds to the server port, can use a specific ip
address or it can use INADDR_ANY which is a special case and means all
available addresses.
Whether this is configurable in the server software or not is entirely
up to the programmer.

Not sure if this is possible in Mysql

Cheers
Luke