[plug] Magic Smoke

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Feb 22 17:52:48 WST 2003

> The next project will be to implement NIS or similar, so everyone with an
> account on Spark can log into the xbox.

I can, from recent experience, reccomend using slapd, libnss-ldap and
libpam-ldap in STRONG preference to NIS. LDAP is a bit hard to get the
head around at first but is pretty darn nice to work with after that.
Much more flexible and potentially much more secure than NIS.

I just implemented LDAP authentication at home as an excersise before
deploying it at Computer Angels. Liked it so much that now work's
servers also authenticate users over LDAP (well, execpt the dodgy and
finially soon-to-be-retired SCO box that doesn't understand LDAP and may
not even understand NIS).

Uggh... just looked at the time. Definitely time to crash.

Craig