[plug] Magic Smoke

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Feb 22 18:17:31 WST 2003

In message <3E574870.4030007 at postnewspapers.com.au>
on Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 10:52:48PM +1300, Craig Ringer wrote:
> I can, from recent experience, reccomend using slapd, libnss-ldap and

For me, OpenLDAP's slapd (along with PHP) is the most hassle-prone
software I have to support. The rate of service-affecting bugs (esp
crashes or loops), interface/configuration changes, and mixed level of
documentation have been a pain. Otherwise, they perform nicely (haven't
personally used OpenLDAP in demanding login environments, only light-
weight ones). I would also like OpenLDAP's logging to be different. On
the plus side, replicated OpenLDAP directories (along with DNS slaves,
etc) have worked well for me and I found propagation to be fast or very
fast (obviously changing huge numbers of records does take time).
Different backends may have different levels of responsiveness, too.
Can't personally recall how robust it's been when replications and
referrals fail due to host unavailability. I have no idea why I'm
bothering to carry on about this.