[plug] Magic Smoke

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Sun Feb 23 18:33:26 WST 2003

Craig Ringer wrote:

> I can, from recent experience, reccomend using slapd, libnss-ldap and
> libpam-ldap in STRONG preference to NIS. LDAP is a bit hard to get the
> head around at first but is pretty darn nice to work with after that.
> Much more flexible and potentially much more secure than NIS.
>
> I just implemented LDAP authentication at home as an excersise before
> deploying it at Computer Angels. Liked it so much that now work's
> servers also authenticate users over LDAP (well, execpt the dodgy and
> finially soon-to-be-retired SCO box that doesn't understand LDAP and
> may not even understand NIS).
>
> Uggh... just looked at the time. Definitely time to crash.
>
> Craig

I've looked at this and haven't found any decent HOWTO for doing this
that has actually worked.  The manual pages at openldap.org assume you
know what you're doing (from the point of view of someone who has never
used ldap).  So I've never gotten anywhere with it.  Would love to
implement it at work, it would cut down on having two sets of passwords.

/ Ben