Seminar streaming (wasn't Re: [plug] Smoke and Mirrors)

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sun Feb 23 20:14:28 WST 2003

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:31:59 +0800 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham.com.au> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 07:23:03PM +0800, Harry McNally wrote:
> > But then again .. <thinks> .. is it too geeky to figure out streaming said
> > presentation so Ben and others can attend ?
>
> Feed me motivation to, I can try and incorporate streaming into the
> speex setup that was used for LCA! (We wanted it, but I ran out of
> time). This will handle the audio side of things at least.

Splendid grooviness :)

> If there's a slideshow involved, perhaps the speaker could make it
> available before the talk so those watching online can walk through
> the presentation in realtime too?

Yes. That would work really well if the presentation has gob smacking
page numbers. Speaker (let's speculatively call him Craig ;-) can say
"As you can see on page 9 .. speak .. speak .. speak .."

> Then with somebody sitting on IRC to take questions, all of this
> combined would make it accessible even over a 56k modem link! =)

Cool and groovy but for live demo of the tools that you use to
work on LDAP how can we get those streamed somehow. That way the
speaker (hypothetically called Craig :-) can go "Speak .. speak .."
while remotely going "Show .. show .. mouse wiggle .. click .. type
.. and on"

> This seriously sounds like a fantastic idea! (And maybe we can sell
> it to the LCA2004 crew in Adelaide! :)

You're taking me seriously while I drink wine ?? ;-) Ah, you can't see this.

> Comments?

You've seen 'em :-) Corse if Craig says something vague and non-commital
like "NO WAY AM I DOING A TALK. WHY ARE YOU DOBBING ME IN?" then we might
have to go to plan B which is still in the unformative stage.

btw Ypur work on speex and stuff for LCA is a pretty interesting
talk Bernard. You could recursively deliver a talk about speex, using
speex.

Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/