[plug] forward rules

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sun Feb 23 20:59:16 WST 2003

I need to ask a question for clarity and that is when creating a forwarding rule do I need to create 2 rules, one for outgoing and one for incoming? Is it a fair assumption to make that one without the other will fail?  I know in the BorderManager product of Novell that is how it works, so I'm wondering if it's the same using iptables or ipchains.  Also in a dual-homed host does this mean each interface must have 2 rule set to handle the forwarding of packets meaning a total of 4 rules?

Thanks

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby