Seminar streaming (wasn't Re: [plug] Smoke and Mirrors)

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Feb 23 20:58:19 WST 2003

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 08:14:28PM +0800, Harry McNally wrote:
> > Then with somebody sitting on IRC to take questions, all of this
> > combined would make it accessible even over a 56k modem link! =)
>
> Cool and groovy but for live demo of the tools that you use to
> work on LDAP how can we get those streamed somehow. That way the
> speaker (hypothetically called Craig :-) can go "Speak .. speak .."
> while remotely going "Show .. show .. mouse wiggle .. click .. type
> .. and on"

For the bandwidth privileged amongst us, as Cameron suggested, VNC
could do - in conjunction with another handy tool - x0rfbserver.
x0rfbserver speaks the VNC protocol (strictly the rfb protocol), but
exports your current X display. You can disable the remote kbd &
mouse (else it could make for an interesting talk :)

> You've seen 'em :-) Corse if Craig says something vague and non-commital
> like "NO WAY AM I DOING A TALK. WHY ARE YOU DOBBING ME IN?" then we might
> have to go to plan B which is still in the unformative stage.

Ahh we can resort to blackmail of sorts if need be surely? ;)

> btw Ypur work on speex and stuff for LCA is a pretty interesting
> talk Bernard. You could recursively deliver a talk about speex, using
> speex.

Hmm... it seriously wouldn't last terribly long. Unless of course I
combine it with a 3-hour crash course on LaTeX and the evolution of
the LCA handbook ... but I think the world would be a better place
without it :)

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham