Seminar streaming (wasn't Re: [plug] Smoke and Mirrors)

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Mon Feb 24 10:59:31 WST 2003

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:58:19 +0800 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham.com.au> wrote:

<snip>

> > btw Ypur work on speex and stuff for LCA is a pretty interesting
> > talk Bernard. You could recursively deliver a talk about speex, using
> > speex.
>
> Hmm... it seriously wouldn't last terribly long.

I'm thinking that we could do the first seminar and do a seminar about
doing the seminar. Bear with me here,

Alternatively, we could do the speex thing first to explain what we are
doing for some future ones. That way, people on the list who can't get
to the talk because they live remotely, can play with the whole setup
beforehand and use IRC for problems so they are ready to roll for any
future webcast ones.

Does that sound like the better way around ? What say the geographically
challenged amoungst us ?

The reason I like this whole idea is:
a) it's geeky to max out the tools
b) some Bunbury people I remember chatted about not being able to
   participate in Perth events. This could explode our talk
   participation.

For both reasons it would be a UsefulThing(tm).

Anyone not geographically challenged who thinks "Programmers should be
learn to be lazy. I interpret this as surfing in from home" should
be encouraged to still come to the venue with laptops to be there and
play with the toys^H^H^ools and generally geek on with other local
PLUGers.

We will have to coordinate with the talks coordinator and cooperate with
the venue organiser so we have the bandwidth. If ADSL is our venue link
for all of this, can we co-opt a co-lo server at an ISP and "tee" (using
whatever tools) all of the streams from there so we have a single stream
from venue to co-lo server ? This might even a 56K allow outgoing traffic
from the venue which would be more flexible.

I don't know enough. What is possible ?

Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/