[plug] dual boot - Windows reinstall

John Clayton mageaere at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 27 18:34:37 WST 2003

>It seems that I need to reinstall Windows ME on that side of my pc. I
>recall that Windows overwrites one or more files that contain the linux
>partition info, but I can't remember the name(s) of these files.

I have a bad habit of having several OS'es on my system at a time and making
sure that they do no chew each other up can be an interesting and sometimes
frustrating experience.

I usually have a win98 os on my first partition. I then install win2k so as
to get a ntloader. From there the process is simple, so long as you make
sure that MS products never get free reign to alter your partition
information because they can be very permanent and impolite.

You can then install any linux partitions you like and have the ntloader
send you to the lilo boot on the linux partitions by dd the first 512 bytes
from the linux boot partition and then copying that file to the win 98
partition and putting a reference to that file into the boot.ini file.

Future instalation of MS os'es usually leave this file alone and you keep
your linux partitions bootable.