[plug] tricksy email and strange attachments

sol sol at autonomon.net
Thu Feb 27 19:59:15 WST 2003

> I seem to recall that Klez uses a subject along those
> lines (among others), and 121K (mentioned in your
> later post) does sound right.
I think you're on to it Andrew. I think that this came from an infected
computer with the said email address in Outlook's address book.

> Check the headers - it's possible it didn't actually
> come from that person's computer, but someone else's.
> Lots of recent email viruses have done that of late.
> Question is, how does Mailman verify the email <->
> computer correlation? Hmm.
Not sure, but it's good. It turns out that I panicked unnecessarily. Mailman
smelled a rat and had only delivered the email to the administrator - me. No
one else got it which is good. It must have seen an inconsistency between the
stated sender's address and the http header, or something like that. Whatever
the case I have a high opinion of Mailman. It's not just reliable, but easy
to use, highly configurable and of course, it's Free Software. I'd recommend
it to anyone starting up a mailing list. ;-)

Thanks,
sol