[plug] Internet Connection Problem

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Fri Feb 28 22:06:20 WST 2003

Hello to All,

I am trying to set up a RH 7.3 box to connect to and use the internet.

The system can dial and log on to the ISP with no problems - using either
kppp or wvdial.

However once connected to the ISP the system cannot do anything with the
connection, cannot even ping the ISP or any other known servers on the internet.

Have read several HOWTO's, and a couple of Linux books - while each was
helpful in its own way nothing has changed (still not able to ping).

Currently using ipchains, which has been setup according to the book 'Linux
Unleashed' purchased with a copy of RH version 7.0 (allows all out but only
http and email in).

DNS is configured to use both the primary and secondary DNS of the ISP.

The connection to the ISP appears to stay up longer than the usual 'no
activity' timeout limit of 20 minutes.

The ISP is Ozemail.

I have looked at so many ****.conf files to check settings, that I just
don't know what's what any more.

Have I overlooked something or done something wrong ?

Can somebody point me to a really good reference, that I can read/download -
the HOWTO's and manuals I have read so far, don't give me any clues at all.

TIA.

Regards Arie