[plug] Where to buy computer bits in Perth

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Fri Feb 28 18:00:31 WST 2003

Michael Bell wrote:

>I can't cite the source, though I'm sure it was usually reliable, but I was told once that the
>price's marked on the shelves aren't actually binding:  items are purchased under a contract
>of offer and acceptance so the marked price constitutes an invitation to you to make an
>offer of that price at the checkout, where they/she/he/it may decline to accept your offer.
>
>Of course it'd be a public relations nightmare if they didn't stand by the price though.

If they advertise something at a price and have no intention of selling
it at that price, either charging a higher price or not having it in
stock at all, I'm very sure the Department of Consumer and Employment
Protection (formerly Fair Trading) might have something to say about
it.  If you could provide documentary proof of it, send it to them and
make a complaint.

Read some of the media releases on their site, several companies have
been prosecuted for the same thing:

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/default.asp?id=media/latest

/ Ben