[plug] auto-increment in mysql

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jan 2 09:40:48 WST 2003

Simon Newton wrote:
> While its not often referred to as a program, Perl would be very suited
> to this task, it comes standard in every Linux distro I've used.

PHP can be a very good choice for database frontends, too. You can often
  manage to achieve the same thing in less code, and simpler code -
especially for smaller projects.

If you want a point-and-click GUI tool, alas there aren't really any
decent dedicated GUI html editors for linux yet, let alone one that
supports easy database integration. Somebody, please prove me wrong
(note: moz composer is ultra-basic but vaguely useable, however its
barely up to the standard of the ancient "Claris Home Page 3" mac tool....)

Must it be web-based? OpenOffice.org forms can access a database over
ODBC and are extremely powerful for a lot of things, plus you avoid the
coding involved in a web interface and its a lot less cumbersome to use.

Craig