[plug] Network Analysing

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Jan 2 14:46:49 WST 2003

Simple answer. If you are on a hub, yes, if you are on a switch no.
That's why hubs are recomended against for security reasons, and why every
network engineer worth her salt carries one around with em... (I aint one,
but I
use em for troubleshooting network software I write.. It's amazing the
perspective
one gets on ones own code when you see your new embeded toaster lan driver
sending syns instead of acks for instance.)

That said, some of the nicer switches (Ie Cisco.. the baystack stuff also)
have options
to 'mirror' a port for the purposes of packet capture.

Cheers,
Shayne.