[plug] Network Analysing

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Jan 2 15:39:16 WST 2003

On Thursday 02 January 2003 03:11 pm, Daniel Pearson wrote:
> I'm interested in traffic going around the whole network, between each
> machine as well - not just the gateway. Sometimes, there are bottlenecks on
> the network, for unexplained reasons. So i'm hoping that by seeing what is
> going where, this can be solved.

Unless your switch offers a `mirroring' port, there's no easy way to achieve
this. You can do MAC spoofing and stuff, but it gets really ugly. If only a
few machines are involved, you can enhub each, but you also risk changing the
network's behaviour that way (e.g. hub may cost you full-duplex).

Cheers; Leon