[plug] Wanted: dirt cheap wireless LAN

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Jan 2 19:49:31 WST 2003

On Thursday 02 January 2003 06:54 pm, bob wrote:
> Hmm... I'm sure I've sent you this link before... Deja vu man :)

Yes, that's why I mentioned (90 minutes before your post) that:

    The Ronja Metropolis, fancy as it is, is too complicated.

I'm currently thinking along the lines of something very simple. A FET op-amp
feeding a Schmitt to buffer the reciever and a simple emitter-follower to run
the transmitter LED via a serial (RS232) port. Even if I only get 38400bps at
that range, it will fulfill the requirement `at least as fast as a modem'.
And who knows, I might even get 115200 bps for as few as 11 components plus
lenses, tubes and mounting. I can't see anywhere that this has been done
before, but it seems an obvious approach to me.

Cheers; Leon