[plug] Wanted: dirt cheap wireless LAN

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Jan 2 20:15:28 WST 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 19:49:31 +0800 Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.fdns.net> wrote:

> I'm currently thinking along the lines of something very simple. A FET op-amp
> feeding a Schmitt to buffer the reciever and a simple emitter-follower to run
> the transmitter LED via a serial (RS232) port. Even if I only get 38400bps at
> that range, it will fulfill the requirement `at least as fast as a modem'.
> And who knows, I might even get 115200 bps for as few as 11 components plus
> lenses, tubes and mounting. I can't see anywhere that this has been done
> before, but it seems an obvious approach to me.

It has been done as a project (in Elecktor or Wireless World I think). I'm sure
there are others too but I couldn't Google them. What they will likely do is
use a carrier and a narrow band detector to recover the data at the receiver.

Trying to do it the simple way is tricky because of the changes in ambient light
through night/day. If you had a long tube to exclude the background light
and drove some laser diodes, praps also an optical filter at the receiver ..

I'm just suspicious that the Ronja is NotSimple (tm) for these reasons.

cu
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/