[plug] Email delivery WAS: Wanted: dirt cheap wireless LAN

levsky at rave.iinet.net.au levsky at rave.iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 3 20:49:08 WST 2003

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 08:40:15PM +0800, bob wrote:
> Hey, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get me.
> Besides, what have I , other than your assertion, proving that they're
> _not_ monitoring :).

Absolutely none :)  Other than the assumption that iiNet (yeah - I work for
iiNet, in a dev/tech role - but I try to keep that off this list, since
most of the time it's not relevent) has better things to do than scan through
the email of the customer base.  We'll monitor email if legally required to
by an authorised body (eg Police), but otherwise it's just passed through
blind.  And if they do require it, it's a complete pita to set up.

> >  Look for a technical explanation
> > first.  Check the headers and see what path the email actually took.
>
> Yes I did that... The sample email I have to hand has a path; other server -
> me, nothing in between. I was actually on the phone to the person who sent
> the mail when they sent it (the header time agrees) It hits their gateway
> and goes into a black hole. (yes, I know, now you're going to say its
> _their_ server... trouble is the person sending the email is one of the
> admis at the site and maintains the server was up and running normally at
> the time. Logs show stats=sent)

Yeah - maybe try getting em to tail the logs as you send the email through
and see what's happening in realtime

> not true and that there is a delay with DNS or some such. Which isn't
> nearly as interesting as some conspiracy theory :).

It's a good conspiracy theory, I'll grant you.

--
Do not look into laser with remaining eye.