[plug] /var/spool/up2date on RH 7.3

Patrick Tehvand patrick at perthix.net
Mon Jan 6 08:26:07 WST 2003

On Sunday 05 January 2003 15:35, Bret Busby typed:
> In trying to find why my disk free space has been significantly
> decreasing, at Anne's suggestion, I examined my /var/spool/up2date
> directory.
>
> It has about 170MB of space occupied (du -sh).
>
> From what Anne has said, as headers and rpm's are downloaded and
> installed, and the system upgraded, the headers and rpm's should be
> deleted on completion.

Bret,

I believe this is what is supposed to happen and used to. There was an up2date
package released as errata ?a few months ago? that may have an issue.

> Is this correct, and, should I rm * the contents of that directory, and,
> what is the result of that?

I do not believe that rm -r * would be a problem (and if it is just install
up2date again).

If you are using 7.3 I _highly_ recommend using apt-rpm using the tuxfamily
mirrors (apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org) which is the redhat port of apt-get.

If you like having a GUI interface for updates then just grab synaptic (I
think that is the correct spelling).

Hope that helps.

> Thanks in anticipation.

No problems at all.