[plug] Mozilla Issues

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jan 8 12:22:30 WST 2003

>>I've had some issues with Mozilla - mainly with sites using ASP...
>
> Hmm, that could be it.. a bit annoying though since too many peaple are using
> ASP (should be banned)

There's really nothing special about the output of ASP pages - its just
that usually they're written by ASP programmers for IIS talking to IE5/6
only, and never tested for standards compliance or with any other
browser :-(

I could probably do just as bad a page in PHP or Python - if I knew all
the IE-specific "standards" these people use.

However, no page should be able to crash mozilla. EVER. If it can,
that's a mozilla bug or a problem with your installation. If you can
reproduce the problem with the same URL on another machine with the same
version of mozilla, time to file a bug report at bugzilla.mozilla.org.

Only thing I can imagine is that the ASP-using sites also try to use
DirectX controls, but mozilla should either complain about having no
plugin for those or just ignore them, not crash.

>>But as to the java problem, I can my plugin all the time - and do it
>>manually... the best bet
>>is to download the latest java jre from java.sun.com and install it
>>somewhere then in the under the
>>mozilla/plugins directory create a sym link to the .... <snip>
>
> Yes I've tried that (currently have JRE 1.3.1 and that sim link) it still
> keeps asking for me to install it everytime although like I said, konqueror
> uses this plugin just fine.

Choose Help->About Plugins and see if it lists the Java plugin there. If
not, your plugin installation is probably not correct, however there
could be other problems - permissions, maybe? Sometimes mozilla wants to
be started once /as root/ to do some global configuration stuff when a
plugin is first installed, so try that. (I just set the mozilla dir to
writeable by the new user "mozilla" and "su -" to that user instea, I
WILL NOT run a browser as root).

If your distro installed a version of moz by default and you've since
downloaded a self-installing copy from mozilla.org and installed that
into /usr/local, that might explain your problems. You'll definitely
want to make sure you put the plugin in /usr/local/mozilla/plugins not
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (or wherever your distro keeps it), mozilla
won't search both. Also try making sure that your PATH has
/usr/local/mozilla in it before /usr/bin, or uninstalling the old copy
of mozilla that your distro installed.

Of course, if you installed a version packaged for your distro or the
RPM build from mozilla.org, you can ignore the above par.