[plug] Mozilla Issues

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Wed Jan 8 13:15:21 WST 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:22 pm, Craig Ringer wrote:
> >>I've had some issues with Mozilla - mainly with sites using ASP...
> >
> > Hmm, that could be it.. a bit annoying though since too many peaple are
> > using ASP (should be banned)
>
> There's really nothing special about the output of ASP pages - its just
> that usually they're written by ASP programmers for IIS talking to IE5/6
> only, and never tested for standards compliance or with any other
> browser :-(

after upgrading to Mozilla 1.2.1 that problem went away (however I remember
the same site: www.jobsearch.gov.au if you are interested also crashed my
system before I upgraded to SuSE 8.1 from 8.0 - both times were the standard
SuSE version of Mozilla)

> I could probably do just as bad a page in PHP or Python - if I knew all
> the IE-specific "standards" these people use.

hmm, I'm sure you could - but I don't know anyone who would (unless they were
trying to make trouble)

> However, no page should be able to crash mozilla. EVER. If it can,
> that's a mozilla bug or a problem with your installation. If you can
> reproduce the problem with the same URL on another machine with the same
> version of mozilla, time to file a bug report at bugzilla.mozilla.org.

> Only thing I can imagine is that the ASP-using sites also try to use
> DirectX controls, but mozilla should either complain about having no
> plugin for those or just ignore them, not crash.

after the upgrade trying to open rpms (ie download them) causes a crash of
mozilla as do realplayer media files (I'm sure this is just a MIME problem
and I will be looking into it) -- otherwise bugzilla will know about it

> >>But as to the java problem, I can my plugin all the time - and do it
> >>manually... the best bet
> >>is to download the latest java jre from java.sun.com and install it
> >>somewhere then in the under the
> >>mozilla/plugins directory create a sym link to the .... <snip>
> >
> > Yes I've tried that (currently have JRE 1.3.1 and that sim link) it still
> > keeps asking for me to install it everytime although like I said,
> > konqueror uses this plugin just fine.

without any further modifications this also worked when I updated to Mozilla
1.2.1

> Choose Help->About Plugins and see if it lists the Java plugin there. If
> not, your plugin installation is probably not correct, however there
> could be other problems - permissions, maybe? Sometimes mozilla wants to
> be started once /as root/ to do some global configuration stuff when a
> plugin is first installed, so try that. (I just set the mozilla dir to
> writeable by the new user "mozilla" and "su -" to that user instea, I
> WILL NOT run a browser as root).
>
> If your distro installed a version of moz by default and you've since
> downloaded a self-installing copy from mozilla.org and installed that
> into /usr/local, that might explain your problems. You'll definitely
> want to make sure you put the plugin in /usr/local/mozilla/plugins not
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (or wherever your distro keeps it), mozilla
> won't search both. Also try making sure that your PATH has
> /usr/local/mozilla in it before /usr/bin, or uninstalling the old copy
> of mozilla that your distro installed.
>
> Of course, if you installed a version packaged for your distro or the
> RPM build from mozilla.org, you can ignore the above par.

As I said before this was the standard version of Mozilla from the
installation.. I also NEVER run browsers as root, infact I NEVER log into the
root account under X. so I set the mozilla dir writable to group mozilla,
added myself, then afterwards removed myself from the group.

thanks for the imput

Quintin